Umeå Biotech Incubator has been nominated for the prestigious Nordic Startup Awards.
– We are very honored! We strive to be the best incubator in Europe – and the best in the world. This is an acknowledgment that we are on the right path, ”says Jennie Ekbeck, CEO of Umeå Biotech Incubator.
The Nordic Startup Awards is a regional competition and a part of the Global Startup Awards, which was founded in Denmark in 2012. The competition wants to celebrate and merge the ecosystem for startups worldwide and to praise those who have shown outstanding achievements in business and service to the startup community .
Umeå Biotech Incubator has been nominated for the Nordic Startup Awards in the category Best Accelerator Program or Incubator Program 2019. This means that Umeå incubator competes against other companies in Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Finland and Norway. The winner of the Nordic competition has the opportunity to move on to a global final - Global Startup Awards.
– Being nominated is fabulous and should we win it is even bigger. The nomination shows that our pay it forward culture and our courage to stand out pays off. Everyone who supports startups has an important job and is a part of creating many jobs and new business ideas. To be a part of celebrating the entire startup community in the Nordic region and globally is really great, says Jennie Ekbeck.
After the nominations has been released for the Nordic Startup Awards and the other regional competitions, a vote will begin.
– One of the reasons we have been nominated, I believe, is our ability to transform research into future innovations. This means that research achieved at the universities can benefit society and humans in the form of new medical innovations, which can increase our health and at the same time create jobs in newly started companies, says Jennie Ekbeck.
She has been CEO of Umeå Biotech since 2012 and during that time she has seen a shift in the view of startups in general, but also on startups that have their base in life science.
– Forming companies in life science is much more accepted now than it was before. And that change it's really important. All these amazing innovations should reach society, says Jennie Ekbeck and adds:
– We keep our fingers crossed that we win. We are a great team at Umeå Biotech Incubator, and our incubator companies reach new achievements every day. We will be very happy if we receive the prize.
Umeå Biotech Incubator is ranked as one of Europe's best life science incubators and is classified as Excellent by Vinnova.
For more information, please contact:
CEO of Umeå Biotech Incubator
+46 90-15 49 77
Umeå Biotech Incubator (UBI) is one of Sweden’s state-of-the-art business incubators within the life sciences. We help researchers to use their data to the benefit of patients and citizens, improving their health. We support and train entrepreneurs in the fields of pharmaceuticals, diagnostics and medical engineering, and act as a bridge between academia, medicine and the business community.