Incubator in Umeå named best in Scandinavia
Umeå Biotech Incubator, UBI, has been named Scandinavia's best biotech incubator at the International Life Science Awards 2019.
– Our goal is to be best in Europe, so this is definitely a step in the right direction, says Jennie Ekbeck, CEO of Umeå Biotech Incubator.
Each year, British Global Health & Pharma gives a number of awards, including the International Life Science Awards. This year, Umeå Biotech Incubator got the award Best biotech incubator in Scandinavia.
– We are very proud and happy – this is definitely a milestone, says Jennie Ekbeck and continues:
– We believe in pay it forward and always want to share our experiences and our knowledge. We have understood that research and commercialization can go hand in hand, just taking into account the other part's needs and challenges. In this way, more innovations can benefit humanity.
It was a unanimous jury that selected UBI as the winner with the motivation:
“Based in Sweden, Umea Biotech Incubator are dedicated to growing the Scandinavian Life Sciences sector by growing biomedical businesses who can contribute to the overall growth of Sweden. Through their guidance and support the company aim to make a significant impact on the development of healthcare services across the region.
Since formation the company has become an academic hotspot attracting the most creative talent from around the world. By offering a combination of lab facilities and business coaching innovators can transform their ideas into solutions which will benefit patients in the long-term."
– We are constantly looking to help the life science industry in the region – and nationally – to grow. For example, we are aiming for the small and medium-sized companies in life science in Västerbotten to double in ten years, says Jennie Ekbeck.
Umeå Biotech Incubator has also been nominated for the Nordic Startup Awards in the category Best Accelerator Program or Incubator Program 2019. The winner of the Nordic competition has the chance to advance to a global final – Global Startup Awards.
– It is fantastic that we get so much national and international attention. Hard work is behind our results, but we are humble and proud, says Jennie Ekbeck.
For more information, please contact:
CEO Umeå Biotech Incubator
+46 90-15 49 77
Umeå Biotech Incubator (UBI) is one of Sweden’s state-of-the-art business incubators within the life sciences. We help researchers to use their data to the benefit of patients and citizens, improving their health. We support and train entrepreneurs in the fields of pharmaceuticals, diagnostics and medical engineering, and act as a bridge between academia, medicine and the business community.